From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:19:08 -0800
Dwight,

This is a very interesting topic to me also.  I work in the public sector
and find that one of my biggest challeneges is with newly elected officials
or appointed department heads coming from the private sector, and knowing
actually very little about the nature of public records and their
management.  These realms are quite different, and it frustrates me a good
deal to hear politicians suggest that government ought to be run just like a
business when even the lifeblood of the organization, its "record"
information, is characteristically different in terms of how we appraise and
define it.

Government has responsibilities to the public defined by law, and embedded
in its records, that differ from business and the private sector. For some
this is a hard concept to grasp.  I hope you do develop this as a
presentation!

Elizabeth Fairfax