Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:51:00 -0500
On March 5, 2008, Pilar wrote:

"If the largest supplier of off-site records storage won't recognize it as a standard, how standard is it?"

This is THE question to ask.  As RIM professionals we are all in the business of protecting our organizations' information assets and offsite storage is an important part of that.  I would think that any of the smaller storage vendors out there would jump at the opportunity to be compliant with this standard because that should give them a competitive advantage.  As Ginny just mentioned in her post, "standards themselves are only required when a law or regulation or policy adopts them as necessary."  So, until a records center burns down and it catches the eye of one of our governmental officals, the NFPA232 standard will remain just that.

Thanks,
Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CDIA+
Records Manager
QVC, Inc. Information Services