From:
Stephen Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:50:33 -0800
Hello,

From a first time poster, and recent addition to the listserv.

In BC, the Privacy Commissioner issued an FAQ (http://www.oipcbc.org/pdfs/private/PIPAHiringFAQ(10APR06).pdf) containing the following:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. I'm not hiring. What do I do about unsolicited résumés?
Dispose of them carefully. First of all, you aren't collecting personal information you don't ask for, unless you keep unsolicited résumés with the idea that one day you might use them. If there's no job open, then you are not making a decision using the personal information in unsolicited résumés and the one-year retention requirement described below does not apply. Even if you don't keep unsolicited résumés when you receive them, you should take reasonable care when disposing of them, so that no one can misuse the personal information they contain. You should shred paper copies and delete electronic copies.

Keep a résumé for a year if you use it to make a decision. If you use information in a résumé (or simply hold onto it for possible future use), you're responsible for protecting the personal information in it and for responding to the individual's enquiries about how her or his personal information has been used or disclosed. If you use it to make a decision to hire or not to hire the individual, you have to keep the résumé for at least a year so the individual can obtain access to it.

Make sure your staff knows your policy about accepting résumés. If managerial or supervisory staff are in the habit of putting off prospective applicants by asking them to send in a résumé, that amounts to soliciting the résumé. You're collecting the personal information in it and therefore must protect it and retain it for at least a year.

Our hr policy on the acceptance and retention of resumes is based on the commissioners FAQ.

Thanks,

Stephen Wilcox
Supervisor, Corporate Records & Mail Systems
BCAA - British Columbia Automobile Association
604-268-5069