From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:04:52 -0400
<Enterprise "content" management attempts to address the management of
all digital and physical information assets from the perspective of the
company, and this would include maximizing access while minimizing
duplication and recreation of data between systems/repositories (among
other goals).  Records and "information" management is primarily
concerned with the value of information as records (e.g., retention,
authenticity).  ECM would like to incorporate RIM as a sub-category; RIM
would not be an umbrella that covers ECM.>

I respectfully disagree with Pilar.  Records and information management
deals with the life cycle of records and information within the
organization - not just its value (retention, authenticity).  RIM
incorporates filing plans (active and inactive), imaging systems,
correspondence management (including e-mail), forms management, reports
management ("content" of electronic systems), and so on.  I am
responsible for developing and establishing policies and procedures to
manage our shared LAN data, our CAD drawings (not just the record
copies), our CIS objects (data tables, etc.), and our GIS data (to name
a few) as well as the "traditional" records, documents and information
within our organization (paper, microfilm, videos, photos, etc.).

As a long-time member of AIIM (they who coined the term "enterprise
content management"), I consider ECM to be a part of my RIM
responsibilities, not the other way around as Pilar suggests.  In fact,
I was thinking recently that we should not call ourselves RIM (records
and information management) professionals, but RIDM (records,
information and document management) professionals to better describe
what the profession is about (while adding a little pun when pronouncing
the acronym 8-) ).

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager