From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:10:48 -0400
Charlie, it's always dangerous to use terms like "trivial" (but I never
seem to learn!).

It really depends on several factors, such as (off the top of my
head--more may apply):

- Is the output color or black-and-white? Color costs MUCH more, no
matter how it's done (and there are at least two very different ways).
The nature of your collection may mandate color.

- If not color, is the output bitonal or grayscale and, if grayscale, to
what bit depth? Grayscale costs more, as does greater bit depth.

- Assuming the digital files are raster images, what is their
resolution? Higher resolution costs more.

- If the digital files are character-code data rather than raster
images, what type of data format are they, and will that data format
need to be converted to a format the Graphics COM machine can use?
Conversion costs more.

- 16mm or 35mm? 35mm costs more.

- Do you want metadata on the film? If yes, where does the metadata come
from, in what format, how much metadata, and how do you want it on the
film?
- Is the job small or large? Small costs more per unit.

- Do you want duplicates and, if yes, what type? Silver-gelatin
duplicates cost more than diazo.

- How quickly do you want this done? Faster costs more.

If you have specific project in mind (as opposed to a general-interest
inquiry), you would do well to contact several vendors in the field (and
note there are "commercial-grade" vendors and there are preservation
vendors--vastly different markets, results, and costs) and get cost
estimates---AFTER you define your requirements (there's nothing a vendor
hates more than a client who asks "Ummm, how much will you charge me to
microfilm/photograph/scan/data enter my records", the client pointing to
a pile of stuff in a room).

Some Web references for manufacturers of graphic computer output to
microfilm recorders 9in alphabetical order):

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/Products.jsp?nav=2&parent=
853314&product=1000

http://www.igraph.com/

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/dpq/site/TKX/name/i9600_product