From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:00:50 -0400
To the excellent and most interesting postings already made on this
topic, I would add two comments.

First, is the issue of undetected errors: where the software incorrectly
converts the raster image to character code, but "believes" its
conversion is correct. To my knowledge, this error rate is not part of
the vendor's promotional material. You would have to have knowledgeable
staff performing quality control to discover it. The costs of this type
of quality control might exceed the costs of constructing a more formal
metadata system, hence the value of the postings that suggest the
product of OCR is valuable more as a supplement than as a replacement.

Second, the error rates published by vendors and, I think, mentioned so
far in this discussion thread, apply to printed (typed) text. The error
rates (and, often, software) applicable to handwritten text are a whole
different matter.

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin