From:
Trudy M Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:28:48 EDT

"The bottom line is that I don't trust that the vendor absolutely  keeps
track of our boxes, so I insist that our users keep a detailed  tracking
log of everything that comes and goes."

I usually make a good case with my clients that they should not rely on  the
vendors database but use any of the available records management databases
(won't name any) and keep their on database and it include the tracking log of
everything that comes and goes as well as what is actually requested
destroyed.

I had a client a few years ago who, had such an onsite  database.  Because of
how earlier records had been sent to storgage, they  spent a great deal of
time going to the vendor site, inventorying about  1,600  boxes, re-boxing and
placing around 800 on  destruction  order.   A year later an audit was done of
the vendor database and the  destruction order and it was found the the 800
had not been removed from the  vendor database so the client was still paying a
monthly storage fee.   That, even after paying the destruction and database
removal fees.

I feel the client is ultimately responsible for the records regardless of
where they are storedand  having an internal management system is very
important.

Trudy M.  Phillips
File Management, LLC
"Bringing Order Out of  Chaos"
8440 Lanewood Circle
Leeds, AL 35094
Office:  205/699-8571   Fax: 205/699-3278
_www.filemanagement.com_ (http://www.filemanagement.com/)

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)