From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 08:24:22 -0700
Maureen Cusack asked:

"Does anyone have experience with large-scale paper record box intake by
storage vendors and/or large-scale removal of boxes from storage
vendors? Hard numbers regarding

1. maximum number of boxes a storage vendor can intake? 'Intake' meaning
receiving the boxes, slapping new barcode on, scanning boxes, shelving
boxes. Not including human indexing, re-boxing, database work with
customer inventory worksheets.

2. maximum number of boxes a storage vendor can release as permanent
withdrawals? I guess what a vendor 'can' do and what a vendor 'will' do
are two different things. So I'm wondering what vendors have actually
done for you."
I've been involved in a couple of different large-scale box moves
to/from storage vendors.  Others have already pointed out that some
vendors will "drag their feet" when making arrangements to permanently
remove boxes.  While this is certainly true, the key consideration is
the logistics of the operation, and what it costs the releasing vendor
to support the move.

It takes a lot of labor to remove boxes from shelves, scan then to
pallets, and stage the pallets for pickup.  It also takes up a lot of
dock/warehouse space. So, it's understandable that they'd be less than
enthusiastic about such a job.

Keep in mind that storage vendors still need to be able to support their
ongoing customer requirements while they're also dealing with your move.
National storage vendors with a large, relatively mobile labor force
(e.g., Iron Mountain) have more resources at their disposal to do this.
They also have more warehouses and turnaround storage areas to phase
in/out, as needed, to adapt to shifting workloads.  Smaller, local
storage vendors face more challenges trying to deal with these
situations.

If you can negotiate a realistic schedule for your move, one that takes
these issues into consideration, it can go very smoothly.

The last move I worked on was for 100,000 boxes going from a local
storage vendor to a national one.  The national vendor wanted to send a
convoy of trucks to the local warehouse over one weekend and pick
everything up.  While I'm sure they could have handled it from their
end, this was not a realistic approach for the local vendor; they
couldn't physically process and stage 100,000 boxes within their
warehouse.  We negotiated and eventually agreed on a schedule of
staging/moving 1,200 boxes per pickup, approximately 3 times per week.
The move was accomplished without incident over a 4 to 5 month
timeframe.

I hope this is of some use.

Pilar C. McAdam
Director of Legal Information Systems
Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton

Pilar C. McAdam
Director of Legal Information Systems
333 South Hope Street
48th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071-1448
Direct: 213.617.5417
Fax: 213.443.2703

Circular 230 Notice: In accordance with Treasury Regulations we notify you that any tax advice given herein (or in any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or in any attachments).

Attention: This message is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.
http://www.sheppardmullin.com/