From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2008 15:33:35 -0400
I am beginning to investigate upgrades and options for our document /
content management systems. We currently operate in a slightly outdated
Hummingbird DM5 environment (think DOCSopen functionality) for electronic
and FileSurf 7.5 for paper. Our end-users are reluctant to adopt DM5. They
are also lovers of paper and produce and utilize paper  extensively. Did I
mention I work with attorneys? My scenario is this: Is the newest version
of Hummingbird's DM5 --> OpenText's eDocs DM user-friendly enough to
overcome end-users' reluctance to accept and use it routinely, and to take
over FileSurf's role in management of paper records? Or should the paper
stay with FileSurf, e-recs stay with Hummingbird/OpenText and have the two
systems talk to each other? We also use Lotus for email and would like
very much to be able to integrate it with the others.

Unfortunately for me, OpenText only says what it's product can do, but
offers no visuals to show how it does it, at least not without registering
(just like those darned white papers). CA does the same with FileSurf.
Saying it can perform everything from soup to nuts is one thing, seeing
how it does it is another -- that's what I'd like to find out. Is it worth
it? Can someone with firsthand knowledge of Hummingbird / eDOCS RM
(OpenText) records management module offer pros and cons of the
application?

I am familiar with OpenText's LiveLink but cannot tell from their site,
nor from their reps in the booth at ILTA in NYC this year, how or if
LiveLink differed from eDocs DM. If someone can simply tell me if eDocs DM
is more like DM5 or LiveLink or neither, I'd be quite thankful.

I ask that responses be limited to users and administrators, and not
vendors. Feel free to respond off-line, or online.

Thanks, Stephen

Stephen Cohen
Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
27-01 Queens Plaza North
Long Island City NY 11101
212-578-2373

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.