From:
Dick King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:05:52 -0700
David Read wrote:
> Hello all,
> We are looking at the Retention of Student Exams and Student Work the
> faculty/departments end up with when the student doesn't p/u.
>
> Doing a cursory survey of available online schedules I noticed a few
> things.
> -Many schedules don't have a category for this.
> -Some schedules for this material line up with their institutions grade
> dispute policy (i.e. "the deadline to dispute a grade is one year after
> the end of the class"
> -Some schedules have a very short schedule for this type of material
> that doesn't match up with the grade dispute policy.

Folks,
Our approach at the University of Arizona has been to use the statement
in the General Catalog ("deadline for disputing a grade") as the
contract the student and the University are operating under.  For us
that timeline is one semester after the semester the class is taken.
For the Spring semester this means the end of the Fall semester and for
the Fall semester it is the end of the Spring semester.  In checking
with our legal folks we have never had a student come back and sue us to
get a grade changed after this contractual deadline.  If the Faculty are
disregarding the University's contract through early destruction of
this material then that will probably be on their heads in terms of
performance review and perhaps costs to meet any legal representation
needed to resolve the issue.  Our problem is with faculty and department
administrators that do not subsequently purge these records or data
bases that have personally identifiable information (PII)  in them.
Breaches of these systems can be extremely expensive when large numbers
of students must be notified (by law) that their personal information
has been accessed by unauthorized users.  I understand that these costs
can reach $150 per person to find current addresses and inform them of
the breach.  If they have their identity stolen owing to the breach,
costs may be significantly higher.  In a recent sweep of a small college
we found some 25,000 records containing PII being kept under less than
secure conditions.  One probably faces more of a challenge in getting
faculty and administrators to dispose of outdated records than one does
in getting them to keep records especially in electronic format.  Dick
King, University of Arizona