From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:27:14 -0700
Hi Jennifer,

The first thing you will want to do is to segregate the medical practice
case files from the administrative/business files.  Each will need to be
handled in different ways.  Segregate any professional organization records.
These should not be kept with the business admin records for the practice,
even if they relate to professional certification and requirements.  These
are generally considered personal records, and not part of the business per
se.

Next you will want to identify publications and reference works/briefs.
These are not records, but many people get confused about this. They should
not be interfiled with your records.

Segregate blank office and client forms from filled-out forms.  These must
be kept separate, and labeled appropriately.  Blank forms are supplies and
should be labeled "form stock", not "forms." Obviously, the filled-in forms
are records and will be handled differently. Numbering the blank form, and
providing an effective date for each,  in a addition to giving each a title
will allow you to easily identify current and revised form stock.

Next you will want to identify any records establishing the business:
incorporation papers, licenses, attorney work done for the firm, deeds,
leases, etc.  These will be considered permanent/vital records and should be
copied and backed up.

Once these records and non-records have been identified, you should proceed
to an inventory within each group.  Once you have your inventory, you can
begin to assemble a schedule for purposes of retention and disposal.

This will involve some legal research, so I would advise you to get this far
before you begin the scheduling process, and then prepare to undertake some
research into the scheduling process itself.

Good Luck,

Elizabeth Fairfax, MA,CA
Island County Records and Information Services Program