From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:57:16 -0400
FACTA aside...

Our choice at our company was one of 3 -
A. little shredders all over the place
B. one or two big shredders with an in house service
C. an outside service

We chose C.

A: Little shredders all over the place: The cost of a shredder is more
than the purchase and there is no control.
1. "time on task" cost savings.  We are a small company and when we have
emps at all levels standing in front of shredders the $ ads up
quick...Especially since the execs and mgmt want to shred their own
stuff.
2. Break down of shredders. If they break, whose going to fix them?
Like copiers, the "little" things become time and money pits. Our survey
indicated that many folks were upset with the frequency of breakdown,
lack of "someone" replacing the bag and the lack of "power" of the
machines
3. While you'll never have complete control with A, B, or C. We felt
that A was the riskiest.
4. Internal customer survey said: "We do not want to shred, we prefer
service" (see points 1 and 2 above)

B. One or two big shredders in house with a in house service
1. Too expensive for the machines
2. People needed to operate, establish program and do the office pick-up
(We have multiple sites and had to include transportation costs...)
3. Didn't have space for shredding machines.

C. an outside service (There was a little debate around recycling
company v. shredding service. We decided shred.)
1. According to our calculations cheaper than B
2. Avoids problems of A
3. Internal customer preference
4. Service NAID certified
5. shredding done on site