From:
"Simpson, Dana" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:15:17 -0500
My name is Dana Simpson.  I am the Records Manager for Guaranty
Financial Group in Austin, Texas.  I have been lurking for several years
and this is my first post.

My question is in the area of shredding paper.  There are security
levels 1 through 6 that are internationally recognized.  Security level
6 is the most secure (basically dust).  Security level 3 is for
confidential material.  Apparently these standards are for office
shredding - not commercial vendors.  Financial Services is a heavily
regulated industry.  I can't find a shredding company that can service
my offices throughout Texas and California that shreds to security level
3.  The best they are providing is 5/8" cross-cut or pierce and tear.
Mobile trucks use the pierce and tear method.  Most of the product is
small enough but the pieces are not consistent and some pieces remain
the size found under security level 1.  Concerns:

1)       Am I the only one left in RIM that thought (aka assumed) my
documents were being shred to a "confidential" level?  I have since
learned that it would be "cost prohibitive" to require security level 3
through a commercial vendor.

2)       Did I miss something in my research regarding shredding
standards and their purpose?

Perhaps there are others that have the same commercial requirements as I
do.  Please share your solutions to this issue or let me know that your
firm has accepted the commercial industry standard of 5/8" cross-cut or
pierce and tear.  Thank you in advance.

Dana Simpson, CRM

Guaranty Financial Group

512.434.5516

**********    Confidentiality Notice    **********
This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings
 are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
identified above. This message may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law.
If the receiver of this information is not the intended recipient, or the
employee, or agent responsible for delivering the information to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reading,
dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this information is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please
notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic transmission,
including all attachments from your system.