From:
Stephanie Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:56:51 -0500
Texas State Agencies have a State Records Law that gives us guidelines
on how to determine what should be submitted to the State Archives.

For my agency, we have two different types of archives. One that follows
the State Records Laws and submit to the State Archives what they wish
to maintain as part of Texas State History. Then there's my agency's
archives, in which we may determine that certain documents may be of
agency historical value. This agency has been running for one hundred
years. I have discovered that it is most important that certain records,
especially development records help to compile a pretty accurate history
on the agency's purpose, accomplishments, successful programs and those
that were not so successful and why they failed.

Records on all formats are analyzed and preserved accordingly.
The most important thing to keep in mind is....what is the records'
purpose and value to your organization.

Indexing is most important. Boxes submitted for archiving that has no
index is rejected. Since RM has limited staff, it is required that all
is completed accurately before it can be archived.

Good luck!
S~
Stephanie Jones
Coordinator for Records Management
Support Services Department
Administrative Services Division
Texas Department of Agriculture
512-305-9193 Voice
800-509-1201 Fax

"The Records Management Section assists and guides TDA staff to ensure
preservation of Texas agriculture historical records and to maintain
compliance with records management laws by implementing a cost effective
records management program."