From:
Vanessa Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:51:59 -0700
I agree with Rikki.  In my previous life at a mid-sized pharma company,
we established an RM program in which each function had a Records
Coordinator who was the point person for that group.  Any records being
submitted for the archives/long-term retention, had to be done by (or
overseen by) the Records Coordinator for that group.  They were the
Subject Matter expert for their function so it was easy to train them -
they already knew what the records were for their group - we just had to
work with them to understand our procedures.  The selling point for the
function is that, while it may take some time for them to submit the
records correctly, once they have done so, they don't have to worry
about it anymore.  They transfer the responsibility for providing
access, managing the long-term retention and storage costs to RM.
What's not to like about that?!

And Rikki's right - it has to come from the top.  The RM program
reported into the General Counsel so there was a lot of weight behind
it.  That's vital to your success.

Vanessa Hodge, MLIS
Manager, Records Management - Project and Information Management