From:
Rachel Hardiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:19:33 +0100
Hello Mimi,

We are using the Delphi technique as a major component in a research
project into electronic records management here at Northumbria
University. Although our project is academic, it is very much focused on
practitioner as well as research requirements so may be of some
relevance to you. We are conducting three separate e-Delphi studies on
different facets of building an ERM architecture, involving participants
from a range of stakeholder groups, professions and disciplines. Details
of our progress so far can be found  on the project website,
particularly at
http://northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/ceis/re/isrc/themes/rmarea/erm/arch
/?view=Standard and its sub-page on the People facet.

As the aim of the research is to explore the issues fully, we are
interested in divergence of opinion as well as consensus. We have
therefore primarily taken the Policy Delphi approach, as described in
section III.B.1 of Linstone and Turoff's 'bible', The Delphi Method:
Techniques and Applications (the entire book is freely available on the
internet at http://is.njit.edu/pubs/delphibook/). The complex nature of
the research topic meant that we used a total of five rounds involving a
fairly extensive list of questions; it demanded (and received) a high
level of commitment from the active participants. If your requirements
are more targeted, with a fairly specific focus or focuses, the process
may be less demanding on you and your respondents, especially if you are
not using the Policy Delphi approach.

One aspect of Delphi that may be of interest in the corporate setting is
the fact that it is possible to deliberately and actively build a sort
of group identity among the researchers and respondents, even while
maintaining anonymity - this raises the possibility of building at least
an 'RIM-friendly' ethos among your core internal players and users.
Section II.C of Linstone and Turoff is a valuable resource in this
context.

We have found that the method provides very rich data, in our case
primarily qualitative. As the data collection phase of our first Delphi
study is just drawing to a close, we are not in a position to share any
findings other than the preliminary ones available via the link given
above; however, if you have any specific questions about how we have
used the Delphi technique, feel free to contact me off-list.

Kind Regards,
Rachel.

Rachel Hardiman
On behalf of the AC+erm Project Team

School of Computing, Engineering and Information Sciences
Northumbria University
Room 247
Pandon Building
Camden Street