From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:48:32 -0700
That's a great point, Susan. One of the main reasons I'm focusing on
e-mail right now is it has been a repeated subject of concern to the
point that one of the principle drivers of our efforts is the County
Attorney and her concerns. Personally, my hope is that the way we
address e-mail will lay the foundation for a broader approach to
electronic records - I see it as a gateway issue: opening doors,
establishing partnerships, and developing processes which will later be
applicable to whatever other technology enters our lives. I think
ultimately success in electronic records management will be based on
these kinds of factors, and not necessarily on any specific tool or
technology, since these challenges are constantly changing (as they
always have). Right now, I think the elements of risk involved in e-mail
are fairly well established, and will be raised by the County Attorney,
who has agreed to take on that role. I'm trying to determine whether
there is any operational return on investment related to better
controlling it, as that kind of hard number return often makes for a
much easier sell.

I also joined AIIM based on Jesse's advice (thanks, Jesse!), and look
forward to working with the e-mail ROI tool.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741