From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:42:13 -0500
Dwight,
I can't comment on the impact of email management systems, but for one
year (2004-2005) I worked on a project to track storage stats of 3
separate stores (email, network drive space utilized for individual and
group storage of unstructured information and a document management
system) for a period of time at a previous gig.  The document management
system "rules" mandated inclusion of record series, retention time, etc.
for each document and we used a poor man's RMS to process disposition
two times every year.  The impact of the managed vs. the unmanaged
storage was telling.  The growth rate of email for that year was 59%,
for other unstructured storage - 17% and for the document management
system 0.  The obvious implication to me was the impact that imposing
records management systems and processes has on growth of storage.  The
other implications of what the growth means.....more stuff to sift
through in litigation, etc. is the byproduct of having no management
system in place.

Mary Hilliard, CRM