From:
Laura Edgar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:43:50 -0400
We actually keep ours (rejected applicants) for two years instead of the one,
but my understanding from our own Registrar as well as others in the higher
education community is that AACRAO is the retention authority for student
records.  Certainly those are minimum retention periods though and you should
keep them as long as you feel is necessary - as we do here at Notre Dame.

Laura

Quoting Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>:

> I must admit to some concern at the 1 year retention for rejected
> applicants.  Even employment applications need to be kept for at least 2
> years.
>
> I see an angry future judge when a college's admission practices are
> challenged in court.  I know that quotes have been repudiated, but bias
> suits have not been abolished.  AACRAO can't be the only source for
> retention decisions.
>
> Are all of you C&U RMs comfortable with the 1 year?
>
> Bernard Chester
> IMERGE Consulting

Laura Edgar
Archivist for Records Management

Archives of the University of Notre Dame
607 Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame, IN  46556

574-631-4028 (work)
574-631-7980 (fax)