From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:38:39 -0400
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Kelly Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Yes, I know this is the RECORDS MANAGEMENT list, but I'm interested in
> starting a corporate archives.

nothing wrong with that since transferring records identified as having
historical or archival value to the organization is part and parcel of the
lifecycle of a record. A corporate archives IMNSHO should be part of and not
separate from the records management program. Sad to say though most
corporate archives were established before the records management program.

  but I
> need some guidance in how to start an undertaking like this.  I'm more
> interested in getting it properly documented and cataloged, as well as
> perhaps an online collection of images, while I think this particular VP is
> interested in showing off a collection of historical items.

here are some titles available from the Society of American Archivists'
bookstore

Corporate Archives and History: Making the Past Work

This text addresses the general issues raised in the area of business and
history and also includes specific information for confronting frequently
encountered problems. Sample forms and procedures are also provided.

<<http://www.archivists.org/catalog/pubDetail.asp?objectID=219>>

Records of American Business
Explores the challenges of preserving the documentary record of American
business enterprise. Fourteen essays examine such topics as the evolution of
corporate archives, structural and functional analysis of records,
electronic information and its impact, decision-making and organizational
culture, visual and moving images as documents, business history as popular
history, and guidelines for determining which organizations to document and
which records to save.
http://www.archivists.org/catalog/pubDetail.asp?objectID=220

other archival books can be found here
http://www.archivists.org/catalog/

this comes from the ARMA bookstore
*Arranging and Describing Archives and Manuscripts *brings up to date the
history of the development of descriptive standards, articulates
international differences in practice, and explains why description is (or
should be) at the very core of every archivist's being.
http://www.arma.org/bookstore/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=1010

and dig through this google search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22corporate+archives%22&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

--