From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:31:31 -0400
>I think Ben is looking for statutes or regulations that require the
>retention of paper records even if they have been imaged. I have seen just a
>couple of such laws.
>
>Organizational policies are a different matter.

I think it might be easier to get answers to this question if more
information were provided, such as:

Is this industry specific?
Is this State/Municipality specific?
Are the records in question Federal, State, Local or Corporate?
What types of records are they (what is the content)?
   Vital or essential business records?
   Common transactional records?
   Correspondence?
   Facility, Property, Equipment?
   Personnel?
   Medical?
   Procurement or Contract?
   Legal?

Different states have different requirements with regard to any documents
that bear a legal seal (such as an Engineer, Architect, Notary, Office of
the Clerk). Some others, including records/drawings of bridges and roadways
with appurtenances such as natural gas or petroleum pipelines, are
occasionally impacted by both State and Federal requirements, especially
when they span the borders of multiple states.

Other records, such as legal records, can be impacted by the age of the
individual they are related to (x years after reaching majority age).

In CA I recall a requirement for the "official records" of juveniles to be
maintained in paper form until they reach majority age, then segregated by
those that continue on because of relation to active cases prior to deletion
of the official paper files.  (NOTE: I'm scratching WAY BACK on this one, as
I haven't been involved on this side of the fence for over a decade now, but
that was the standard I was given by a District Attorney's office then)

Larry

As a scatter shot question, you may end up with answers all around the
realm, but if you can focus in a bit more, you may get more salient
information.