From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:55:30 -0500
Joan,
I don't know if this would solve the problem you are trying to solve,
but it might be helpful so I will proceed.

In Sharepoint and in other document management systems, the "versioning"
feature allows you to keep earlier versions of the same document in a
sort of "architectural dig" layer fashion with only the latest version
exposed.  You see who has made changes to each version and if it is
necessary to review or reuse a previous version, it is possible.  You
can also determine how many versions to keep (this is set as a value and
is usually done at a site level).

The down side, is of course, that all the versions continue to take
space, are available for review and need to be managed, etc. so there
should be a process for dealing with them at the appropriate time.  But
this is true of all attempts to deal with drafts and trying to keep
earlier versions.  Using naming conventions can become unwieldy.

As with most things, it is very important to have processes and rules
that everyone understands and follows.

Mary Hilliard, CRM