From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2008 08:50:28 -0700

> The discussion about ARMA interest groups got me thinking.  If the main
> goal is to connect different subgroups (RMs in different fields, etc.), we
> don't necessarily need full-fledged ARMA-sponsored interest groups.  We
> could use social networking tools like Ning or LinkedIn to connect with each
> other.  I know there's already at least one ARMA LinkedIn group (thanks,
> PeterK!).
>
> If there's enough interest, we could create groups on LinkedIn and then
> announce them to the list.  Those who are interested sign up and get
> periodic updates from LinkedIn.  It doesn't replace the Listserv - it
> supplements it.  It wouldn't replace a real SIG, but if we're just looking
> for connections, it would work fine for things like conference
> get-togethers.
>
> It would really make my day if we did the whole thing via Twitter, but
> LinkedIn might be the more logical option for this.  :-)
>
> I'll volunteer look into it further and help get things started if people
> are interested.  I don't own a Hawaiian shirt, so that may tarnish my list
> qualifications, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Robin-

Many of us already do this in various forms of Listservs, through blogs,
with YAHOO Groups and in other ways.  We decided it wasn't worth trying to
explain to ARMA why the ISGs/IACs were worth keeping alive, so we simply
moved on.

I agree with Bruce that much of the chatter around this issue makes it seem
as though having kept them alive may have made sense, but as Susan pointed
out, there (as with may things ARMA ) are things that serve a limited number
of individuals.  Someone has to make the decisions as to what lives and what
dies, and this was one that died... and in a large part, because of the
ability of individuals to create communities on the 'net so easily.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA