From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:31:00 -0400
I have a problem with focussing SOLELY on retrieval times.

If the records I get, however timely, are wrecked or incomplete because
the box was crushed, and some of the records spilled out, that's not
acceptable.

Also, because some records are likely to be kept for long periods of
time (and some of those are likely to be retained permanently by the
Municipal Archives), storage conditions (which include, but are not
limited to, box stacking) are very important.

The vendor's discretion to " run his/her operation the way that best
suits them" (as Alice put it) is thus necessarily constrained by my own
business needs.

Additional examples are ensuring the vendor's records tracking system
includes contingency planning, and its data model will allow for
trouble-free migration to another system (either the same vendor's, or
another vendor's).

Finally, there are public policy issues, for example encouraging "green
construction and facility management" and minority and women-owned
businesses.

Great discussion, though. Thanks to everyone who contributed; another
validation of this listserv's worth!

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer
The City of New York,
Department of Records
Email: [log in to unmask]
Land phone: 212.788.8615