From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:49:54 -0500
>PHOENIX - Up to 40,000 children's identities were stored on Department
>of Economic Security hard drives that were stolen from a storage unit in
>October.
>
>http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/stories/Phoenix-local-news-110308-des
>-stolen-kids-ids.179ed7ad7.html

 The letter reads, “The hard drives contained info that might include name
address insurance info child disability date of birth and social security
number.”

That is the personal information of some 40,000 Valley children that was
stored on hard drives that are now in the hands of thieves.

DES spokesperson Liz Barker Alvarez tells 3TV, “We don't have any reason to
believe that DES and our computers were the target of theft.”

Still they were stolen from a public storage unit where DES keeps its
back-up files. According to the police report, a man and woman broke in and
left with five hard drives valued at $450.

The information on those hard drives is obviously much more valuable than that.

So let me get this straight.. A STATE AGENCY that had both 'economic' and
'security' in their agency name was storing PHI/PII of minors in a PUBLIC
STORAGE UNIT?!?!?!?

And there is no State policy (I'm sure) for protection requirements for this
type of data... nor it ther ean IT policy for what to do with backups?  And
they were storing removed hard drives as BACKUPS???

I'm mortified...

Larry