From:
Preston Huff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:55:07 -0500
I used Robek many years ago - and found it to be very helpful.  I also
found the Records Management book by Susan Diamond (American Management
Association) to be very good - and very readable.  I don't have a copy
of Diamond's book - since I left it with a former employer.  I doubt
Diamond's book is still in print - but I haven't checked.  Maybe there
are old copies available somewhere.  Again, very readable - easy to scan
for info - and the principles haven't changed that much over the years.

Still warm in North Central Texas,

C. Preston Huff, CRM, CA,
Regional Administrator
National Archives - Southwest Region
1400 John Burgess Drive
Fort Worth, Texas 76140
817-551-2001 (work)
682-465-1875 (cell)

http://www.archives.gov/southwest/
(The views expressed in this message are mine alone and do not
necessarily reflect the views of NARA)

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/7/2008 11:09 AM >>>
Both B&N and Amazon list the Robek book, including the 4th edition
(1996)
and the much-coveted 3rd edition (1986). They are used and must be
purchased
through a third party, but I just ordered the 3rd ed and it was c. $58
including shipping.

I have long heard from RMs that Robek 3rd edition is the definitive
reference for preparing for the CRM exam. On the other hand, one would
presume that there have been sufficient changes in the profession in 12
(or
22!) years as to require either that that seminal work be updated, or
another work take its place. I don't know that most people would
prepare for
the PMP using a 20-year old book as their primary reference.

Please note that I am not denigrating the work without having read it.
That's why I ordered it today. But I respectfully concur with David's
point
that to have the 22-yo (or the 12-yo) book as THE definitive reference
today
seems anachronistic.

Regards from chilly (but still not snowy - yet) CO,

Jesse Wilkins
Access Sciences Corporation
information [accessed]
1900 West Loop South