From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:20:34 -0500
On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> IT warned of insider attacks as economy slows
> Computerworld New Zealand - Auckland,New Zealand
> ... rights management tool from Massachusetts-based Liquid Machines to
> better limit access to confidential documents and control how that
> data can
> be used. ...
> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/
> A6FFAF43DE6D71C4CC2574F200794AB7>

With the new idea of Cloud Computing, and the Chain of Custody
issues, imagine records stored where employees could access them,
copy confidential records, sell them to the highest bidder and since
it was never really on their computer, there is no trace.

As with all new technology, no one knows the weaknesses until it is
attacked by someone with advantage to gain.  We never worried about
our Identity being stolen until people figured out how to make money
with it.  Anyone with access to the Cloud can make anyone else be
able to access the cloud.

With "bots" inside computers already, the minute that person accesses
the Cloud the "bot" may be able to take advantage.

The unnatural fixation on speed and density by IT, make them seize
every new technology as the "final sustainable technology".
Sustainable is the fantasy they all chase but they never reach it.
Records manager think of paper and microfilm as truly sustainable
formats but IT has not discovered that platform yet.

Our comparable foible is we keep wanting to change our names from
records manager to knowledge manager to information manager
to ...............

Pointing out the lack of sustainable technology to management might
be worth noting.  In this regard, Windows by Microsoft has been
sustainable.  But for some reason IT guys hate them for it.

What would the List of non-sustainables be?  Pointing out all the
Holy Grails that failed IT might help when you are trying to keep
some control of information assets. (alias records.)

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM