From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:39:56 -0600
I'd like to hear from those of you who manage or observe the mass imaging
operations of your company.  Imaging comes in so many forms and can be done
so many ways, but for this purpose of this e-mail, I'm referring directly to
mass scanning of specific document types such as invoices, leases,
contracts, etc.

I believe it's probably common for imaging to sneak in the door at most
companies championed by someone who has budget at the time and/or is forward
thinking enough to push it through.  If that someone is over one business
unit then I consider that the start of decentralized scanning.  I've known
companies which have scanning of important business records to various
levels of control and quality in pockets across the company.  There might be
companies with great success stories with a decentralized model who are in
compliance and managing it properly, I just don't know enough to have heard
of these.

I've more often experienced a strong centralized imaging function where part
or all of the prep, scanning, indexing, validation, etc. are accomplished by
a single group focused on quality and uniformity.  I tend to favor this, but
I'm curious if there are any success stories for medium to very large
companies doing imaging in a decentralized approach with intention.

I'm also interested in any good war stories and consulting situations where
decentralized imaging, even with the best intentions, caused problems or
made compliance very difficult.

Thanks!

Tom Wilson, CRM

Arlington, TX