From:
Gordon Hoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:17:10 -0600
A musing:

There is a lack of standards  in the manufacture of digital storage
media, and in my experience, the quality varies widely.  Hence the
longevity of the media varies similarly, and lifespan prediction is
speculative, at least in part.

However, in most cases, the viability of the media exceeds 1) the
retention requirements for the data, and/or 2) the lifespan of the
hardware that retrieves the data.  So unless media storage is in a
brutal environment, the medium is not the limiting factor.  And for
really longterm storage, there should be a plan for regular media
migration to newer technologies.

This reminds me of when (circa 1990) Sony came out with a 12- or 14-inch
optical disk that was "guaranteed for 99 years".  Hah!  Even then, we
realized the absurdity of the claim!

Of course for really longterm storage (like data on nuclear waste with a
10,000 year half-life) there is the pancake drive with titanium disks.
The data is burned in with an ion beam that is just a couple of atoms
thick.  The drive burns both digital and analog.  The idea is that in
some unforeseeable future, someone without the proprietary drive will
still be able to read the disk with an electron microscope.

So good luck.  Almost always, there is a reasonable answer to the problem!

Gordy Hoke
Gordon E.J. Hoke, CRM
http://gejhoke.googlepages.com
(T) 1.507.534.2293