From:
Gregg Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:30:20 -0500
One issue with companies going out of business that we once were really burned on was the storage of records of a company that went into bankruptcy. Under the bankruptcy code the records of the corporation were considered assets of the company - and even though they had not paid their bill in five months the bankruptcy trustee refused to pay the back bill and demanded the records - and refused to pay anything to have them pulled. We consulted legal counsel but were told we were stuck because we could not hold assets "hostage" to demand payment and had to turn them over to the trustee immediately. We felt this was very unfair. Other types of vendors could simply cease servicing this customer and not incur any further losses - but we had to pull over two hundred boxes for free. We're no longer in this business but it ought to be addressed. Office Depot has no obligation to provide service to a company that can't pay its bills - why should a records storage business? Given the current economic climate this might be something that you should be looking out for if you are in this business.

Gregg M Long JD, CRM
MML Enterprises, Inc.
423-316-5554