From:
"Richards, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:07:05 -0600
Debbie:

I'm a little irritated.  I live in Nashville and I heard nothing in
Nashville of the sale of the Ryman flooring as I would have jumped on
that.

When Clinton was in the White House, some nut landed his small plane on
the south lawn, crashing into a magnolia tree planted by Andrew Jackson.
Several large limbs were broken and taken down as a result.  The
president joked that he was going to enjoy burning the logs in the
fireplace smoking a cigar thinking about Andy one night.  We quickly
sent letters asking that he offer the wood to craftsmen to make things
out of the wood and offer them for sale.  The wood burned.

When the tornadoes came through Nashville in 96 and uprooted hundreds of
trees at The Hermitage - they collected all of the cedar wood (again,
planted by Jackson) that they could and offered it to local woodworkers
who made boxes, pens, all sorts of things that when sold, benefited The
Hermitage.  I have one of the boxes in my office now.

The oldest tree in Tennessee is located in Natchez Trace State Park - a
pecan tree.  Planted in the mid-1700's they say.  It too is
deteriorating rapidly.  I looked at it last spring and it is mostly
rotted - and imagine that this is the case with your tree.  Ask them to
try and salvage as much of the wood as possible and to make small round
tables out of the large limbs, make boxes, anything to preserve parts of
the tree for posterity.  I hope this works for you.

A plaque?  It is a good gesture now but in 20 years, no one will care
that an old tree once stood there.  My opinion only.

Good luck

Steve Richards

R. Stephen Richards

President & CEO

Richards & Richards

Nashville, TN

615-242-9600

www.RichardsandRichards.com

P Please print multiple copies of this email. We have a large shredder.