From:
pakurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:47:20 +0000
use this link for the full blog posting

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/11/verizon-wireless-employees-sno.html

and folks ask why he should give up his blackberry

Sent to you by pakurilecz via Google Reader: Verizon Wireless employees
snooped on Obama's cell phone records via TECHNOLOGY on 11/21/08
Look, this is why no president should ever use e-mail or a BlackBerry
or any other kind of consumer-level electronic communication:
Records from a cell phone used by President-elect Obama were improperly
breached, apparently by employees of the cell phone company, Verizon
Wireless said Thursday. An Obama spokesman said the transition team was
told Verizon Wireless workers looked through billing records.

[Lowell McAdam, Verizon Wireless president and CEO,] said the device on
the account was a simple voice flip-phone, not a BlackBerry or other
smartphone designed for e-mail or other data services, so none of
Obama's e-mail could have been accessed.

Verizon Wireless, meanwhile, has launched an internal probe to
determine whether Obama's information was simply shared among employees
or whether "the information of our customer had in any way been
compromised outside our company, and this investigation continues,"
McAdam said in an internal company e-mail obtained by CNN.

It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that this breach, as
well as the hack on Sarah Palin's e-mail, should be prosecuted to the
full extent of the law.

But if the President-elect insists on keeping his personal e-mail and
phone when he takes office, expect more of these types of stories.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to TECHNOLOGY using Google Reader
favorite sites