From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:20:05 -0800
Peter, that really underlines the facilitative nature of our profession.
We may not be lawyers, but we know enough about legal requirements to
know when and how they apply. We may not be IT experts, but we know
enough about available applications and technologies to determine where
they best can be used. We may not be experts in the various businesses
we deal with, but we know enough to develop quality retention schedules
for those businesses. To be honest, I think we can do a better job of
branding this particular facet of our field. I know I can!

Another realization that came out of the meeting I cited: when I
mentioned that retention schedules apply to e-mail, it didn't dawn on me
until the end of the meeting that the legal and IT people in the room
thought I meant that a user would have to analyze all 2000 records
series in our county's total retention schedule for each e-mail before
they could delete it (in reality, I think most would only have to worry
about 1 or 2 record series).

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741