From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:02:34 -0500
Remember my post on Cloud Computing and its risks.  Well I just read
my Processor magazine and they are talking about Virtual Threats.
That is threats to Virtual Servers.  So only now do all the risks
appear. And this is a platform that has been out there about a year.

Guess what, personnel are still the risk. Staff, computer repair
guys, new equipment installers and "virtually" anyone who comes in
contact with the computers is a threat.(See that is a pun.  Pretty
good!)

Many failures relate to policy issues.  (Sounds like a opening for
someone good at procedures and policies and management.  Ding, Ding
Ding Records Managers)

Imagine the threats to Cloud Computing because you don't even know
where it is, you cannot enforce any policies and if your vendor goes
out of business you are virtually ruined.  (I can't stop myself.)

If someone can explain how we let ourselves become so dependent on
Computer designers that have no ability to create a sustainable
platform and create a safe system that cannot be hacked into by high
school kids with time on their hands.

I think we are at Pandora's box time.  We have created a platform
that is so insecure that none of us are safe.  Our credit cards are
at risk, our banks accounts are at risk and in this economy spending
on security is going to be virtually non-existent.

If records managers cannot offer up some (eh, eh eh......not virtual)
viable security solutions to protect your organization then  you are
missing an opportunity to be a hero.

Maybe the reason IT keeps changing systems is that each one they
create is flawed so rather than fix it they move to a new solution.
Maybe if the guys building the computers took security seriously
rather than something that slows us down, this would be fixed.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM