From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:04:03 -0500
> From: Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Virtual Threats
>
>> Imagine the threats to Cloud Computing because you don't even know
>> where it is, you cannot enforce any policies and if your vendor goes
>> out of business you are virtually ruined.  (I can't stop myself.)
>>

> yeah, right- like you couldn't read your microfiche if your camera
> manufacturer went out of business.

Often, the reason microfilm and fiche are used for compacted long
term or permanent
storage is the fact that it can be read with a flashlight and a
magnifying glass.  It is not
software or hardware solution driven.  If Kodak were to go out of
business, reading it
can still be accomplished.  Readers are simple units.  About all that
can go wrong is
for the bulb to burn out and this can easily be replaced as they are
standard bulbs.

If IT manufacturers were to provide solutions like this it would be
wonderful.

Microfilming and Readers is an example of a really long term
sustainable technology.
It is exactly this type of performance we should expect from computer
manufacturers.
But somewhere along the line they decided making things obsolete
every 24 to 36 months
was good for sales.

>> If someone can explain how we let ourselves become so dependent on
>> Computer designers that have no ability to create a sustainable
>> platform and create a safe system that cannot be hacked into by high
>> school kids with time on their hands.

> get a grip- these VMs are servers living under the host environment.

I am wrong to state that all IT providers are at fault. So I will
take that back.
But the industry is very much like a man with a remote.  We don't
want to know
what is on TV.  We want to know what else is on TV.

> Are you still driving one of those primitive cars that require a live
> driver, that can be crashed?
>
>> I think we are at Pandora's box time.  We have created a platform
>> that
>> is so insecure that none of us are safe.  Our credit cards are at
>> risk, our banks accounts are at risk and in this economy spending on
>> security is going to be virtually non-existent.
>
> ahhhh - the sky is falling!!!

The more apt analogy might be that I go to my driveway and find that
my crash
safe car is missing from the driveway. That it has driven itself
somewhere else.

Cloud service providers have already turned up missing in action. Can
you
honestly say that there are not massively more headlines about lost
data, identity
theft and espionage.  Criminals are better at finding our data than
the user is.

But you did not address the sustainability issue.

This is a listserve to share ideas and you provide a counterpoint and
I would like to
hear more.  This is one of the best places to educate ourselves
because it is interactive.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134