From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:39:38 -0700
Stop the Posturing about Web 2.0 in Government and Do It Already:
http://steveradick.com/2008/12/14/stop-the-posturing-about-government-20-and-do-it-already/
Our government has no choice but to start moving more and more toward social
media.  We're already seeing it with
Intellipedia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellipedia>,
with change.gov <http://www.change.gov/>, with the TSA's
blog<http://www.tsa.gov/blog/> -
within virtually every government organization, social media is at least
being discussed.  My company has clients across the federal government, and
I could get a meeting with pretty much any of them just by saying that I
lead our social media practice and I'd like to discuss how their
organization could take advantage of social media.  The point is that
there's demand for social media expertise in the public sector.  Everyone is
curious, everyone wants to know what all the buzz is about, and everyone is
looking for the right answers.

Using Web 2.0 Technoligies to Support Business Goals
http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid183_gci1341716,00.html

"A lot of messaging isn't audited and retrievable," noted John D. Halamka,
CIO of both CareGroup Inc. in Boston and Harvard Medical School. "What do
you do if an attorney requests records? Employees might find good ways to
coordinate care but if we have servers at an external location with patient
information, it could break the law with HIPA." It's a matter of being able
to own the data and audit access -- the sort of things you can't do if it
goes outside the firewall to a third-party server. Halamka said executives
at the group are working to devise a Web 2.0 tools policy.

"The notion that you can ban social networking is unreasonable," he said.
"The worst option is don't ask, don't tell, do what you will. That will get
us into trouble. Information that's inappropriate will get posted. Another
option is to come up with your own managed service, institutionalized IM
system, audit and persist every message. But with a closed social network
will there be a value proposition that people will use?"

In the meantime, Halamka said Web 2.0 tools are already contributing to
business improvements. Last year, for example, one hospital in the group
created a wiki forum open to all 5,000 employees to identify and solve
problems.
A New Era at NARA?
http://blog.ca-ig.com/2008/12/a-new-era-at-nara/
NARA has two responsibilities under the Federal Records Act.  One is *
oversight* and the other is *guidance*. NARA fulfills its guidance
responsibility, but, traditionally, NARA has not included oversight in its
mission, except where invited by an agency.

Jesse Wilkins
http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins