From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 12:37:24 -0600
Our policy is that orphaned files are not permitted.  If files are
abandoned by a department, organization, or subsidiary that no longer
exists, they are reassigned to either the person with the most knowledge
of events at or near the time the event took place or to the corporate
manager most likely to be asked to produce the record in the event of a
discovery request.

If there is a disagreement between who should own the records, I
negotiate with the departments and, in the absence of concensus, the
Corporate Secretary makes the call with my recommendations.

Our governance policy requires that all records have control (security),
integrity, and ownership.