From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:07:53 -0800
Sorry, folks, I just realized a inserted a clause in the wrong sentence.
Corrected below:

Dwight

Earl, I'm not sure if this applies in the corporate world, but as a
primarily social services public entity which regularly re-organizes to
meet current challenges or take advantage of limited resource
opportunities, tracking records custodianship is a major portion of what
we do. I have had considerable success connecting "orphan" files based
on current organizational functions. So, for example, if the
discontinued entity had a medical or health related function, I try to
establish custodianship with our current medical or health entity. I
attempt to do that as specifically as possible, at the employee (ie
responsible manager), next program, next division, next departmental
level. I have no problem making the custodianship connection to the top
(our Chair's office), if that is the only option. We have developed a
transfer of custody form which we primarily utilize for processed
archival holdings, and that transfers custody to our program, however, I
envision utilizing this tool for defunct agencies as well. Fortunately,
when agencies disappear, we get their records, and I have been
successful establishing custodianship up front during the accessioning
process. We had an instance with one department where custodianship
changed at least 5-6 times in the course of 8 years. Sometimes, for
example with microfilm holdings, we may be establishing custody 30-40
years after the files were "orphaned", particularly if we feel they have
no ongoing historic value (if they have ongoing value, we simply
incorporate them into our own archival holdings). Much of this is a
process of negotiation, as there is a cost associated with accepting
custodianship. As the county is currently facing an estimated $35
million budget reduction, we anticipate this being a considerable
challenge over the next 6 months, since it appears entire divisions may
be closed. Note that in the State of Oregon, custodianship could
ultimately move to the State Archivist, which has authority over all
state entities, including local governments.

Again, this probably doesn't apply in a governance sense in the
corporate world, but at least it might give you some ideas on how to
handle the issue organizationally or functionally.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741