From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:53:18 -0600
Back in the ancient days of records management (1980) I pondered the CRM
process. I had my MA and two bachelors' degrees and I wondered if it was
worth it. At that time someone at the local ARMA chapter explained that
it was a designation for those clerks who did not have a bachelor's
degree and had spent years in the profession. If you had a master's
degree it really was not necessary.

Move forward five years and a conversation that a professional records
management consultant had with my supervisor in administrative services.
They told my supervisor that the CRM was not necessary if you had a
graduate degree.

It was about 1992 when job listings began requiring a CRM for some jobs.
Before 1990 it seemed optional for many jobs if you did not have a
graduate degree. When the US Federal government required consultants to
have the CRM I took it as my wake-up call. If I were to compete in the
profession I needed that designation.

I do not see the equivalence but see it more as the CPA exam. I do have
one observation as told to me by employers over the last few years.
Several have told me that they have interviewed experienced CRMs for
prospective employment and found them unskilled in electronic records.
There seems to be a divide among CRMs as to experience managing
electronic records. In noticed John Phillips said "recent" CRM. Are we
seeing a divide or is it that we are still in the paper world? Do we
hire a recent library and information school graduate rather than one
who obtained a library degree back in the previous century? Interesting
to ponder.

Raymond K. Cunningham, Jr. CRM, CA, CIPP
Manager of Records Services
University of Illinois Foundation