From:
Wayne Finlaison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:56:48 -0800
Hi Vicki

This URL will take you to a site about my great grand uncle who compiled the first Naval List of documents for the Royal Navy in 1814.  He was Keeper of Admiralty Records and Librarian from 1809-1822.  While it does not go into detail about the "List" it does shed some light as to why British naval colonies introduced document indexing.

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/knowledge/actuarial_history/history_of_members/john_finlaison
Wayne