From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:42:06 -0800
On 1/12/09, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Sure thee are benefits, but they aren't outweighed by the risks.  Problem is
> the people wanting to build this are the same people that can't store their
> own records properly, our friendly Government.  And until they spend the
> time necessary to learn about capture and management of data, and long term
> digital stewardship of the same, I'm not comfortable with them mandating it.
Larry,

Great points - thanks for sharing.  This is a topic is that is
becoming near and dear to my heart for a number of reasons.

In theory the idea of pushing electronic medical records sounds great.
 My own company, a home health care provider, uses electronic records
on a limited basis.  Due to the cost and lack of standards we are
proceeding cautiously.  We have a hard enough time dealing with
various state and federal medical recordkeeping requirements,
including those issued by HHS Medicare and state Medicaid offices.
Most states also have laws and regulations that define what a medical
record; they are for the most part similar although I've found some
differences.  Having one set of standards and rules to follow would be
great.

On the other side, in addition to the points Larry made, actually
implementing a system will probably cost more that the $75 - $100
Billion estimate (if the feds give you an estimate double or even
triple it).  Changes in budget priorities and project leadership will
be a real concern. And such an initiative will require all the large
players to come together and agree on specific standards - good luck.
Just integrating the different systems that currently exist will be a
huge undertaking.

All one has to do is look at the project in Great Britain by the
National Health Service (NHS) to implement an electronic records
system to be cautious about going down this past ((PK has posted some
RAIN articles on the problems the NHS is experiencing.)  Lots of
lessons to learn from the Brit's effort.  Unfortunately, some of the
major proponents on this side of the pond don't seem to be paying
attention.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Orange County, CA