From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:50:30 -0700
FYI.
http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid183_gci1344781,00.html?track=sy540

or

http://www.tinyurl.com/8oxn6b

"For Hamilton Beach, the financial argument for outsourcing email to the
cloud was compelling. Two years ago, Hodge had his infrastructure team start
evaluating email options, after IBM/Lotus announced it was sunsetting
support for version 6.5.3 of IBM Lotus
Notes<http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS907-208&appname=USN>
in
the first half of 2009. "I said, 'Guys we're spending a lot of time
babysitting something that is not bringing us a competitive advantage.'"

Google's spam filter from Postini did a better job than his. He would not
have to worry about storage. The archiving feature fit into the company's
records retention policy. As for availability, his team took down email once
a month for maintenance, so Gmail would likely be up more, too."
I am not a records manager at Hamilton Beach, so I don't know if the
statement in the second paragraph is true. I also know that Google does not
presently provide records management in the traditional sense but does
provide retention management and it could be that Hamilton's RRS is simple
enough based on their internal risk assessment that what Google provides is
sufficient.
--
Regards,

Jesse Wilkins