From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:28:13 -0500
As everyone knows, many of the individuals that regularly post here also
have blogs or other methods of delivering content related to RIM to those
who are interested in it.

One of the 'features' of blogs, wikis and other dynamic forms of
communication is the ability to embed links to other content you wish to
either make direct reference to or cite as a source that corroborates your
postings.

Something that we have all noticed about the RAIN postings periodically is
that after a week or so, many of the cited sources tend to 'dry up' or
remove access to the referenced content, either putting it in their archive
and requiring a subscription to gain access, or by virtue of their practices
and procedures, simply remove the content from storage, never to be seen
again.

SO?  WHY IS HE BORING US WITH THIS????  =)

Well, for two reasons actually, both of which are records management related.

1) If you have a blog, wiki, or other source of information and you have
embedded links, you may find that the links are broken and readers cannot
gain access to the content you cited and or paraphrased in the posting. For
that reason, I'd suggest you periodically review your posts and determine if
this is the case, and if so, edit the entries to place a footnote indicating
you are aware some of the embedded content is "regrettably no longer
available" so readers don't get their panties in a wad, like one of mine did
recently =)

The RIM piece?  Persistent access to content is NOT always something YOU
control... and I suggest you think "cloud and Web 2.0" when you read this

2) an option would be to make a PDF of each piece you embed in a posting and
establish a means of indexing them so you can retain the content of the the
cited piece for future reference.  Now, naturally there are copyright issues
related to the content in some cases, as it may come from a paid
publication, such as a magazine, published article, newspaper, etc. and I
make a disclaimer here that I'm NOT suggesting you break copyright law or
even BEND IT, but instead, that you exercise your rights under "Fair Use"
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html and the copy you keep in PDF is for
reference only =)

The RIM piece? Well, RIMs are always learning new ways of doing things,
embracing new technologies, staying ahead of the curve, when it comes to
managing information assets.... and we DO know about planned dispersal as a
part of disaster recovery.

If others are aware of additional ways of addressing this issue of stale
static content in a dynamic delivery source, I'd be interested in hearing
it, on-line or off-line.

Oh, and if you're interested, here are MY primaries...
http://blogs.computerworld.com/medina
http://rimfrontiers.blogspot.com/

Neither of which are kept severely current (and not all updated in keeping
with the suggestions above yet) as I DO have a life outside of the RIM
Profession as well =)

Larry