From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:40:27 -0600

Gordon,

A good question, and here's just one opinion (mine).....

(1)    The importance of RIM software compliance with DoD 5015.2 -  It
all depends upon what sort of organization you may be in, and what
relevance any particular organization may assign to it.  If you work in
the Federal government, then compliance - and more important -
certification against that standard is essential.  It's a requirement!
If you work in other state or local government agencies, or in the
private sector, or in the not-for-profit sector, it MAY still be
important, in that the capabilities and compliance with those
capabilities provide a great checklist for RIM needs.  That is with the
exception of that part of the DoD standard that refer to the security
classification of records.

(2)    As for forthcoming "legislation"...... I doubt that many will
refer to DoD 5015.2 specifically.  That standard was never contemplated
as a standard affecting things like medical records (unless of course,
you work for a federally run medical facility).  What we will see
instead is a greater interest in the application of a standard developed
(or being developed) by the Object Management Group.

Those are my thoughts... BTW, given the vagaries of the legislative
process, efforts to predict the outcome of legislative efforts is at
best....challenging.

Doug Allen, CRM