From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:02:11 -0500
>Has anyone taken a look at the document the ICA
>created in this area?...
>I like it as a starting point and a high-level reqts doc - after all, every
>RM system has to be able to do certain basic high-level things... Many of
>the requirements are not phrased in that way and are not detailed enough
>for e.g. a developer to follow, but they are pretty good for discussion...

And I think ICA knows these are the limitations of their guidance, because
in the first module, they even state:

"The requirements are core, high-level and generic requirements for records.
Readers seeking guidance in other areas of software functionality not
addressed in this document should refer to other more detailed
specifications such as US DoD 5015.2 and MoReq2. Readers should also take
account of other relevant jurisdiction-specific standards, statements of
requirements and specifications."

It's true that if you're designing a system to manage records irrespective
of their formats you do nee dot have some high level guidance and an
understanding of the WHATS you want to accomplish and the WHYS you need to
do certain things more than the HOWS you want to achieve them.  For this
reason, the ICA guidance is based primarily on things such as ISO 15489 and
ISO 23081.  ISO 15489 is more about RM principles, whether your system is
physical or electronic and ISO 23081 gets into specifics for defining
metadata elements.

To speak more to the original question though, for software (applications)
you need clearer criteria, similar to those contained in DOD5015.X or MoReq
v.X to determine if products you are considering can meet the necessary
requirements for compliance.

Larry