From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:45:32 -0500
Maureen Cusack wrote:
"So are we saying that an email management system, because it CAN easily
compress, store and auto-delete all emails therefore SHOULD remove
record/non-record decision-making from users?"

Ideally, yes.  Practically, no.  Without an automated EDMS or e-mail
management system, it is extremely difficult to effectively monitor each
e-mail decision by the user.  So we end up with situations like the one
that started this thread.  However, economic times and budgets being
what they are, automated systems are not easily available.

As Alice says - it all boils down to training and, I add, "verified"
trust.  Somehow, we need to determine effective ways to monitor and
authorize the record deletion process for electronic records just as we
determined and developed effective records destruction processes for
paper records in the past.  As Jimmie says, we need to work with IT and
educate them on the reasons why certain processes should be in place.
It's taken me almost 15 years to get Waterworks (and to a lesser degree
City) IT to consider RIM issues and consult with me when they develop
procedures.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager