From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:15:22 -0500
On Jan 27, 2009, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Subject: Re: Vault Requirements
>

> Hi Hugh,
>
> One additional question, if we are storing paper, microfilm, and
> magnetic media and there is not a separate space inside the vault for
> each of these media (other than separate raking), would I want to
> have a
> fire proof rating of Class 125 which is the highest of each of these?
>
> Thanks,
> Jennifer

Yes, by using the higher rating, then all documents are protected.
The Class 125 Vault also provides the Class 350 Fire Rating.  The
cost difference between a Class 125 Vault versus a Class 350 Vault is
less than $1,900.00 so it makes sense to go this way.

Even if you do not have media on day 1, somewhere in the future you
will have media in the vault.  In some cases, it arrives in boxes of
microfilm and no one even realizes the collection now contains
media.  Or a CD-ROM inserted into a folder.

The minute you add a rated microfilm cabinet or data safe inside a
vault, you have already spent about $2,000.00 so planning for it in
advance makes sense.

In some cases, the vault will be partitioned.  For example, evidence
files, District Attorney files or conflict of interest cases will
require a separate area within the vault.  It is a simple matter to
provide these partitions.

Providing pull out shelves is also an excellent idea so Deed Books,
Plat Books, etc. never leave the vault.  The citizen can view the
document right there near the original location of the file.  This
keeps the files within the secure vault.

It is a simple matter to add a pull out shelf to filing equipment.
In one Town Hall they had something that looked like a rolling podium
(ledger stand on wheels if you are old like me) and it could be
wheeled from spot to spot within the vault. The books were pulled
down and set on this stand so the books did not move out of their
location creating a future misplaced book.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM