From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:34:03 -0500
http://rmfuturewatch.blogspot.com/2009/02/end-of-rm-as-profession-in-its-own.html

Sent to you by pakurilecz via Google Reader:

The end of RM as a profession in its own
right?<http://rmfuturewatch.blogspot.com/2009/02/end-of-rm-as-profession-in-its-own.html>
via Records management futurewatch <http://rmfuturewatch.blogspot.com/> by
Steve Bailey on 2/3/09

I'm sure most of you (in the UK at least) will be aware of the review
commissioned by the Govt into the 30 year rule. Likewise I suspect many will
have read Lord Dacre's findings and
recommendations<http://www.30yearrulereview.org.uk/default.htm>.
I say 'suspect' as there doesn't seem to have been much discussion of them
so far on the usual RM and archive lists, but maybe I've just missed it in
the information (and literal!) blizzard.

I'm sure all will come to their own conclusions about the pros and cons of
moving towards a 15 year rule and don't propose to comment on this here.
What I did find particularly illuminating was paragraph 8.23

"We recommend that electronic record capture should be an integral part of
the
IT infrastructure of government, and not a 'bolt-on' activity. Work on
creating an IT
strategy to ensure that records are automatically kept needs to be
accelerated."

The message seems pretty clear to me. The capture, management and
maintenance of electronic records should now be considered an IT function,
integrated within the mainstream of IT service delivery. Reference to
records management as a 'bolt-on activity' confirms my fears that we have
effectively allowed ourselves to be increasingly marginalized over recent
years whilst the game moves on and upwards without us.

So, Records Managers, its time to open the office door, walk down the
corridor to the Head of IT and pass the baton marked 'Records Management'
over to him or her to deal with and for us to return to our warehouses full
of paper and hanging files...

Things you can do from here:

   - Subscribe to Records management
futurewatch<http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Frmfuturewatch.blogspot.com%2Ffeeds%2Fposts%2Fdefault?source=email>using