From:
Don Lueders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:33:11 -0500
Julie,

I agree with you, it's great when we can disagree about something and discuss it like professionals without sinking to personal attacks, as happens so often.  That's why I follow this list.  Rarely, if ever, do I see anyone take disagreements personally or make ad hominem attacks on other readers.  It's refreshing.

That being said, I really don't see anything you've written here that I disagree with.  You are right that SharePoint is not the solution for everyone, especially if they are looking for a federated records management solution.  I try to be clear about that in my blog.

I also agree that it can take a substantial investment of both time and resources before SharePoint can be used as a production records management solution.  But I've worked closely with a number of the 'big name' records management applications throughout my career and it has always taken serious investments to get them up and running as well.  And that was after the organizations I worked with had spent a significant amount of money just to license the product.  All I would ask is that those folks who are deciding on a records management solution make a real effort at crunching the numbers and be sure that they can't get SharePoint to do what the big name applications do for less money than they would have to pay the other guys in licenses and maintenance fees.

Please come back to my blog often and post a comment if you see something that you can add to or you don't agree with.  I love to hear from people out in the trenches!

Regards,
Don