From:
charlie sodano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:28:26 -0800
Thanks for the link Chris.  Interesting. The discussion about saving
everything versus saving selected items and carefully indexing them has been
around since the dawn of electronic records.  Full text indexing technology
first evolved from the vault of government agencies charged with gathering
intelligence about existing and potential enemies. It was thought to be the
ideal way to find information that was stored in a big "pile" or coming
through a data stream.  Google, Autonomy and other vendors sell products
supporting this perspective.  However, supporters of indexed metadata based
records continue to grow because of the increasing volumes of generated
electronic information.  I'm sure that each approach has its place.  I agree
that you shouldn't save everything in most cases.  The devil is in where you
draw the line.

Charlie Sodano, PhD
Founder - eOrganizedWorld
Phone: (925) 229-1688
Cell: (925) 231-5909
email: [log in to unmask]
www.eorganizedworld.com

Hi all - have been longtime reader, but not a "poster" to the listserv.
Periodically an item comes across my email that I think worthy of at least a
minute's consideration.  You could have already seen this.  This is food for
thought no matter if you're public or private sector folks.
http://gcn.com/Articles/2009/02/09/The-federal-records-puzzle.aspx?s=gcndail
y_050209&Page=1
Chris Ames
Records Management Supervisor
Littleton/Englewood Wastewater Treatment Plant
Englewood, Colorado
Desk: 303.783.6821
Cell: 720.530.3152